The Deer Camp is a social network
There are no birthdays today
This past weekend, Libby Dubois made her first deer hunt with her grandpaw, Chipper. She saw a small buck Saturday morning, but couldn't get a shot. On her afternoon hunt, she got a shot at a five point. She was hunting with a 20 ga. shotgun. We were unable to recover the deer, but we searched long and hard for it on Sunday morning. She was very disappointed, but all of us old guys were very proud of her. I hope Chipper has some pis of her on her stand, we will put them up on the site if he did. I hope she will get to hunt with us again soon!
Her is a pic of Libby in the buggy, she was Chipper's chauffeur for the whole weekend. She's much safer to ride with than Chipper…Continue
One of our members at West Fork Hunting Club is the owner of Gator Outfitters, based in Breaux Bridge, LA. His new line of boots are perfect for hunting in the Southern States Of America. I have a pair of the insulated Gators and it was killing me to try them out, even though it was not very cold this past weekend, I wore them anyway. I have bone spurs on my left heal and the boots had plenty of padding in the heel and great arch support for my old feet. I felt no pain what so ever at the bone spur. That was the true test form me. I also was impressed at the ease of putting them on and taking them off after the hunt. I was climbing with my "oleman" climber and had no trouble negotiating the turn around after getting to my preferred height, so I give these boots an A+! Also note the new camo design on the boots.…Continue
I've not bow hunted too much this year or last year for that matter, the reason is not worth mentioning around supper time. Two of our members at West Fork Hunting Club have been in the woods almost every weekend and hunted long and hard, and have had some success. Chipper has taken two doe in the last three weeks and Zack took a doe last weekend. Not many bucks are seen in our little part of S.W. Mississippi. Our rut peaks around December the 29th. The young bucks are seen on occasion and the larger bucks are seen on trail cams at night. None of the big boys have slipped up just yet.
My cuz, Keith Eiland up in Southern…Continue
The bow season is in it's third week in Southwest Mississippi. The first two weekends were unbearably hot for bow hunting and the deer movement has been minimal. This past weekend was much cooler, in the low 50s in the mornings and mid 70s for the highs. More deer were seen this weekend than the first two combined, but no bucks were seen. Our peak of the rut is December 29th in our area, so the buck don't have much cause to be moving yet. I suspect that we will start seeing bachelor groups soon.
Last weekend, Chipper score a nice doe and this past weekend, Chipper and Zee both killed nice does and each of them saw several other doe. I spent time hunting for predators this past weekend, hoping to take out a few yotes. I didn't see a thing, but I know they are out there and I'll keep trying.
The temperatures are going to be down in the 40s, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so there should be more movement of everything, hopefully.
I had a good weekend getting ready for the deer season. I finally got my 4 wheeler running again, it's been down for a year. I had to install a new gas valve that was leaking and sucking in air too.
I had a rough start though, pulled the left side panel of and felt something hitting my hand. It was wasp bailing off of their nest under the panel. Luckily I got away without getting stung. I let them settle down and hit them with some wasp spray and started shooting them out of the air too. I got back to the task at hand, took the gas line off, took the first screw out of the gas valve, then got stung! I seems that a wasp that was not at home when I spayed had come back home.
I got the new valve on, cleaned the tank, put it back on, put on a new gas line, the old one was dry rotted, poured in gas and she cranked right up. It is running a little rough, I may have to pull the carburetor and clean it out too, but it started.
The next project…Continue
Elbis and I went to the deer camp this past weekend for a day trip. We replaced the wheel spindle on the left front wheel. We had it attached with hay wire and duct tape until we could get the new part for it. Actually, the nut on the spindle was stripped, so we were able to put a lock nut on it to get it out of the woods on the last work weekend. I don't mind saying, it was HOT! The thermometer read 100 degrees in the shade. We got the new spindle on and the tractor is ready to go for next weekend. We have to ready all of the trails and foodplots to be ready to plant in mid September.
I was able to survive the heat with the help of a cool vest that I made last Friday evening. I ordered three Mollee vest from Amazon for $10 each and I made panels that velcroed to the vest with polymer in the panels. I soaked the panels in ice water and then installed them in the Mollee vest once they were charged. It helped me make it through the day without passing out! I plan to post a…Continue
How can I try out to become a member of Bubba's Pro Staff? I can shoot a bow, I just cant find the ones with antlers. I am better at hitting squirrels in the back yard than finding the big deer. I own a lot of guns, I just always hunt with a…Continue
I usually practice all year round, except when the weather gets to bad in the later months. I shot about 100 arrows a day at different yardage. I also shot my broadheads during this time as well. I have two sights that I use so I just take one off…Continue
I'm wondering how many people look at the contents of deer's stomachs, to find out what the deer are eating. Like the CSI, it could tell you the whole story. I would bet that most has corn in our area. I know for a fact that food plots work, from…Continue
When God made the fishes of the sea, he took some of them and made some deer, so that his children could hunt and fish!
1) Man did not evolve from apes! We are still apes, look in the mirror after 3 days at the deer camp!
2) If I have to put up with your crap, you should have to put up with mine, It's called unconditional LOVE!
3) 98% of all statistics are wrong!
4) Studies show that couples have sex three time a week on average, those men that aren't, are deer hunters!
5) If you pray for something, but then still fret and worry over it, you're not really a believer!
6) Dogs are the best judge of character!
7) If you don't like your job, don't bitch, QUIT!
8) If you don't like it, you better tell Momma, or she'll keep cooking it!
9) If you voted for the Democrat, this crap is your fault!
10) Men are from Mars, women are from Uranus. (It's OK ladies, you won't be the first female I pissed off)
11) The quote, that the eyes are the window to the soul, it's true, when someone looks at you with dead eyes, you know where you stand with them. Avoid those people and don't get dragged down in to hell!
12) When you are in total darkness, it only takes a small glimmer of light for you to find your way! (Technically that's 1 lumen)
13) If there was no deer season, life would not be worth living, except for the kids and grandbabies.
14) A deer camp is a fraternity, like people, like personalities, and like humor and hopefully drink the same brand of beer and smoke good cigars!
15) Unhappy people tend to get away from what makes them unhappy or they stay unhappy!
16) Hunting is a way of life, not a hobby, build a bridge and get over it!
17) Drinking plenty of beer makes other people more interesting!
18) If your wife doesn't hunt and doesn't like you to hunt, ya probably need a new wife!
19) God made fish and then deer for men to catch and hunt. Whether fish evolved into deer is in question, but if God wanted to do it that way, he could! Matt. 19 : 26, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
20) I believe in evolution, but I believe that God made us to evolve. I think that God, being all knowing, knew how much we would screw up things, so he designed us to evolve to adjust to our screw ups. I truly believe that with God, all things are possible. Who am I to say that He would or won't design us that way! I don't presume to know what's in Gods plan for us, so I never say that God would not have designed things to evolve. He probably inspired Darwin to come up with his theory! Amen!
21) If you have to ask your wife if you can get into a hunting club, you ain't getting in, cause the answer is NO!
22) If you're a nut case going into a psychiatrist's office, you're going to still be a nut case when you come out.
23) Love will make some people do strange things and usually against their better judgment.
24) A friend told me that a beer is a sandwich in a can, he's right!
25) Deer hunt every day that you can, hopefully today, for tomorrow you may die!
26) Men should be driven away from the herd, just like young bucks after all the wanted babies are born!
27) All of those who want the government to take care of you, raise your hands! Now you pay for it!
28) No matter where you go, there you are!
29) You'll never get your share, if you don't show up!
30) I may not be the best at what I do, but the best call me sometimes for advice.
31) Bubba's Diet Plan - Don't eat so much and get off your butt and get some exercise!
32) Horizontal stripes aren't making you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat!
33) A lazy man will always invent an easier way to do any task!
34) When eating boiled crawfish, wash your hands before you pee!
35) Cutting grass and weed eating makes beer taste better.
36) Hot dogs on the grill is not a bar-b-que!
37) The past doesn't seem so bad now, the present doesn't seem to be so good, and thank God that I don't know the future.
38) Sometimes when you've reached the bottom, wait, you can still go down some more!
39) The less your lips move, the smarter you get!
40) If you sneeze, cough, hiccup, and fart at the same time, it will kill you!
41) People get finicky when they work for free!
42) Why settle for hamburger, when you have hamburger at home!
43) If you're driving down a dirt road to get home, you must live in heaven!
44) Erectile Disfunction is caused by wives.
45) You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but you can make a damn good football with it!
46) Women really believe that men can't tell the difference between a Yoplait fart and a Alpo fart.
47) Life is like a box of chocolates, full of nuts!
48) When you're young, it takes 5 years for a year to go by and when you get old, it take 5 minutes for a year to go by!
49) You learn by your mistakes, that's why I'm near genius!
50) Our heroes were always heroes to their sons, daughters and wives. Semper Fi.
51) Dogs are a good judge of character, that's why they don't like cats!
BUBBA'S DEER CAMP IRISH STEW
Serves 8 - 10 People
Peanut oil (bacon grease is good too) to saute meat.
3 lbs. Venison cut into stew meat.
2 Large onions, diced.
2 Bell peppers, diced.
2 Table Spoons minced garlic.
Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand chopped carrots.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand sweet peas.
1 8 oz. can of name brand nibblet corn.
1-11/2 lbs. new potatoes, diced.
1 Box/can Swanson's beef broth.
1) Brown stew meat, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a 6 quart dutch oven, season the meat and seasonings with Tony Chachere's
2) Add all can goods, including the juice from the can.
3) Add the beef broth.
4) Add the diced potatoes.
5) Bring to a boil, the lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for an hour.
6) Serve over buttered cornbread, your recipe or Bubba's Creamy Cornbread.
7) Check the seasoning towards the end of the cooking time, you may want to add some more Tony Chachere's, you've added a lot of ingredients to the mix at this point. I check the stew several times for seasoning during cooking.
BUBBA'S CREAMY CORNBREAD
2 Pound bag of Aunt Jamima's Yellow Corn Meal.
Follow the instructions on the back of the bag, except for the milk. Substitute sour cream for the milk, then add 1 small can drained of nibblets corn and 3 table spoons of diced, mild, jalapeno peppers. You will have to add some milk to thin down the batter.
This stew is easy to cook and is great at home or at the camp. I always use name brand ingredients, the stew always taste better with better quality ingredients, I've cooked this stew hundreds of times, I know this for a fact.
You'll love the creamy cornbread, with the stew over it or on the side or both, you can't go wrong. The stew may be cooked ahead of time, like a day or two, it gets better after the first day you've cooked it.