The Deer Camp is a social network
I haven't added a blog here in a while, and for that, I apologize. My health has improved drastically in the last several weeks and I'm feeling more like writing and a feeling that I need to hit the woods real soon.
I feel like the 2013 - 2014 season was very successful. I don't have the complete harvest report with me, but some nice deer were killed and there were some nice racks too. Even I took a nice doe myself on my last hunt of the year. The past three years weren't as good as this past season, the reason, in my opinion, it was because we did not supplemental feed as much, AKA, we didn't feed the hogs! We saw a lot fewer hogs this past season and much less sign of them. I know however, there are some still on the lease. I like to kill and eat wild hogs as much as the next guy, but they will destroy your food plots first and then your deer hunting. They compete for the same resources as the Whitetail Deer.
Two of my great nephews killed there…Continue
After my duck hunt on Monday, my friend Darryl and I drove up to Pattison, MS to hunt some property he has up there. We saw several small does but nothing we wanted to shoot. We went back Tuesday morning and much the same thing happened. But, things changed drastically on the evening hunt. At 4:00 PM a nice doe came out and I secured some meat for the freezer. At 5:00 PM a nice 8 pt came across the food plot and I let him walk. A few minutes later a huge high rack 6 point came out. What a beautiful creature. I let him walk. A doe came out and moved out of my vision to the right and shortly after that a huge buck came across the food plot moving fast toward the doe. I saw him well through my binoculars. He was an 8 pt., long tines, and heavy mass. He moved out of my vision to the right where the doe had gone. About 5 minutes later he came back into food plot and marched over to a huge oak tree on the far end of the food plot, about 230 yards. He stretched himself up on his hind legs…Continue
My future son in law, Bubba (Randall Norman Jr.), Darryl Boyce and I took off Monday morning and met Chip Maraist in St. Martinville at 5:30 A.M. We went out to Chip's duck blind and got settled in. Bubba went scuba diving a couple of times on the way in. I didn't realize he liked to swim that much. We killed a limit for 4 and had a great hunt.
Elbis' grandson, my great nephew,Cameron LeJuene, hunted with us at West Fork Hunting Club for his third year. He had not gotten a chance to take his first deer, but he tried hard to make it happen. He was up and ready to go on stand at the drop of the hat, no complaining! He was like an old hand at the camp this year.
I had gone home on Sunday morning, November 24th, Elbis and Cam stayed over another day after the Thanksgiving holiday to make an evening hunt. Three does came into the food plot after 4 PM. Cam pick out one of the young does. He put the cross hairs on the doe and squeezed off his single shot .270 H&R single shot. The deer jump straight up in he air, he had made a good hit! With some tracking help from ROB, "Zee", and Law Dog, they found her after dark. However the is more to…
One of the members that I recently approved spammed me. I don't know which one of the new members is a spammer, so I had to suspend the last several members because of spam. If you were not a spammer, I truly apologize for suspending you, but I have to protect the site. I have no idea if suspending them will repair the damage that them have done to the site, but we will see. The spam is all of the high lights words in the blogs that lead you to advertizement links that I have no connection to. Again, I'm sorry if you got suspended and have nothing to do with the spam.
This past weekend, Libby Dubois made her first deer hunt with her grandpaw, Chipper. She saw a small buck Saturday morning, but couldn't get a good shot at the deer, so she passed on the shot. On her afternoon hunt, she got a shot at a five point. She was hunting with a 20 ga. shotgun that she had been practicing with. We were unable to recover the deer, but we searched long and hard for it for several hours on Sunday morning. She was very disappointed, but all of us old guys were very proud of her. I hope Chipper has some pics of her on her stand, we will put them up on the site if he got a couple of good shots of her on stand. I hope she will get to hunt with us again soon! I think she had a little case of buck fever, but who hasn't!
Her is a pic of Libby in the buggy, she was…Continue
How can I try out to become a member of Bubba's Pro Staff? I can shoot a bow, I just cant find the ones with antlers. I am better at hitting squirrels in the back yard than finding the big deer. I own a lot of guns, I just always hunt with a…Continue
I usually practice all year round, except when the weather gets to bad in the later months. I shot about 100 arrows a day at different yardage. I also shot my broadheads during this time as well. I have two sights that I use so I just take one off…Continue
I'm wondering how many people look at the contents of deer's stomachs, to find out what the deer are eating. Like the CSI, it could tell you the whole story. I would bet that most has corn in our area. I know for a fact that food plots work, from…Continue
When God made the fishes of the sea, he took some of them and made some deer, so that his children could hunt and fish!
1) Man did not evolve from apes! We are still apes, look in the mirror after 3 days at the deer camp!
2) If I have to put up with your crap, you should have to put up with mine, It's called unconditional LOVE!
3) 98% of all statistics are wrong!
4) Studies show that couples have sex three time a week on average, those men that aren't, are deer hunters!
5) If you pray for something, but then still fret and worry over it, you're not really a believer!
6) Dogs are the best judge of character!
7) If you don't like your job, don't bitch, QUIT!
8) If you don't like it, you better tell Momma, or she'll keep cooking it!
9) If you voted for the Democrat, this crap is your fault!
10) Men are from Mars, women are from Uranus. (It's OK ladies, you won't be the first female I pissed off)
11) The quote, that the eyes are the window to the soul, it's true, when someone looks at you with dead eyes, you know where you stand with them. Avoid those people and don't get dragged down in to hell!
12) When you are in total darkness, it only takes a small glimmer of light for you to find your way! (Technically that's 1 lumen)
13) If there was no deer season, life would not be worth living, except for the kids and grandbabies.
14) A deer camp is a fraternity, like people, like personalities, and like humor and hopefully drink the same brand of beer and smoke good cigars!
15) Unhappy people tend to get away from what makes them unhappy or they stay unhappy!
16) Hunting is a way of life, not a hobby, build a bridge and get over it!
17) Drinking plenty of beer makes other people more interesting!
18) If your wife doesn't hunt and doesn't like you to hunt, ya probably need a new wife!
19) God made fish and then deer for men to catch and hunt. Whether fish evolved into deer is in question, but if God wanted to do it that way, he could! Matt. 19 : 26, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."
20) I believe in evolution, but I believe that God made us to evolve. I think that God, being all knowing, knew how much we would screw up things, so he designed us to evolve to adjust to our screw ups. I truly believe that with God, all things are possible. Who am I to say that He would or won't design us that way! I don't presume to know what's in Gods plan for us, so I never say that God would not have designed things to evolve. He probably inspired Darwin to come up with his theory! Amen!
21) If you have to ask your wife if you can get into a hunting club, you ain't getting in, cause the answer is NO!
22) If you're a nut case going into a psychiatrist's office, you're going to still be a nut case when you come out.
23) Love will make some people do strange things and usually against their better judgment.
24) A friend told me that a beer is a sandwich in a can, he's right!
25) Deer hunt every day that you can, hopefully today, for tomorrow you may die!
26) Men should be driven away from the herd, just like young bucks after all the wanted babies are born!
27) All of those who want the government to take care of you, raise your hands! Now you pay for it!
28) No matter where you go, there you are!
29) You'll never get your share, if you don't show up!
30) I may not be the best at what I do, but the best call me sometimes for advice.
31) Bubba's Diet Plan - Don't eat so much and get off your butt and get some exercise!
32) Horizontal stripes aren't making you look fat, it's the fat that makes you look fat!
33) A lazy man will always invent an easier way to do any task!
34) When eating boiled crawfish, wash your hands before you pee!
35) Cutting grass and weed eating makes beer taste better.
36) Hot dogs on the grill is not a bar-b-que!
37) The past doesn't seem so bad now, the present doesn't seem to be so good, and thank God that I don't know the future.
38) Sometimes when you've reached the bottom, wait, you can still go down some more!
39) The less your lips move, the smarter you get!
40) If you sneeze, cough, hiccup, and fart at the same time, it will kill you!
41) People get finicky when they work for free!
42) Why settle for hamburger, when you have hamburger at home!
43) If you're driving down a dirt road to get home, you must live in heaven!
44) Erectile Disfunction is caused by wives.
45) You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear, but you can make a damn good football with it!
46) Women really believe that men can't tell the difference between a Yoplait fart and a Alpo fart.
47) Life is like a box of chocolates, full of nuts!
48) When you're young, it takes 5 years for a year to go by and when you get old, it take 5 minutes for a year to go by!
49) You learn by your mistakes, that's why I'm near genius!
50) Our heroes were always heroes to their sons, daughters and wives. Semper Fi.
51) Dogs are a good judge of character, that's why they don't like cats!
BUBBA'S DEER CAMP IRISH STEW
Serves 8 - 10 People
Peanut oil (bacon grease is good too) to saute meat.
3 lbs. Venison cut into stew meat.
2 Large onions, diced.
2 Bell peppers, diced.
2 Table Spoons minced garlic.
Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand chopped carrots.
2 14.5 oz. cans name brand sweet peas.
1 8 oz. can of name brand nibblet corn.
1-11/2 lbs. new potatoes, diced.
1 Box/can Swanson's beef broth.
1) Brown stew meat, onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a 6 quart dutch oven, season the meat and seasonings with Tony Chachere's
2) Add all can goods, including the juice from the can.
3) Add the beef broth.
4) Add the diced potatoes.
5) Bring to a boil, the lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for an hour.
6) Serve over buttered cornbread, your recipe or Bubba's Creamy Cornbread.
7) Check the seasoning towards the end of the cooking time, you may want to add some more Tony Chachere's, you've added a lot of ingredients to the mix at this point. I check the stew several times for seasoning during cooking.
BUBBA'S CREAMY CORNBREAD
2 Pound bag of Aunt Jamima's Yellow Corn Meal.
Follow the instructions on the back of the bag, except for the milk. Substitute sour cream for the milk, then add 1 small can drained of nibblets corn and 3 table spoons of diced, mild, jalapeno peppers. You will have to add some milk to thin down the batter.
This stew is easy to cook and is great at home or at the camp. I always use name brand ingredients, the stew always taste better with better quality ingredients, I've cooked this stew hundreds of times, I know this for a fact.
You'll love the creamy cornbread, with the stew over it or on the side or both, you can't go wrong. The stew may be cooked ahead of time, like a day or two, it gets better after the first day you've cooked it.